Assistant Manager Position
Seal Rescue Ireland is a very busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation facility located in Courtown Ireland. It is the only seal rehabilitation facility in Ireland and responds to strandings along the entire coast of Ireland. Most strandings are Grey and Common Seal pups who have been wounded, orphaned or injured. The facility is currently accepting applications for their management position starting August 2016. This is a full time position that is unpaid for a minimum of 5-6 months. Possible options of getting room and board provided if proven worthy for the position and if taking on extra responsibilities.
Reports to: Executive Director
Job Summary: This is a management position will be a responsible individual who will supervise programs, supervising interns/volutneers, supervising daily husbandry of animals in care, and take care of necessary office duties to keep the centre running. He or she will work closely with the Director in all aspects involved in running a wildlife hospital. This position is split between working with the animals and working on management tasks in the office. Participation in the rescue groups educational program and fundraising program are required. If interested, selected assistant managers are responsible for caring for the volunteer house and in exchange get free room and board.
Requirements: Applicants must have a background or interest in areas of study such as Pre-Vet, Biology, Zoology, or any other animal related field. Previous work with marine mammal rehabilitation is required. Ability to drive with valid drivers licence in Ireland (Irish drivers licence not required). Applicants MUST be comfortable with computers and Microsoft office programs, be comfortable speaking in front of a crowd, be comfortable giving direction/teaching, be organized and self-motivated. Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around the exhibits and holding areas, and must be able to lift 25 kilograms. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available to work nights, weekends and holidays. Duties Include:
- Supervise and train interns and volunteer
- Coordinate releases and other conservation events
- Management of Seal Records Database
- Responsible for managing specific programs within the organization
- Responsible for hospital inventory and stock checks
- Supervising and participating in daily animal diet preparations, routine cleaning of enclosures, giving medical treatments, tube feeding, and maintenance of the grounds
- Overseeing medical treatment plans and upgrading animals and diets with other managers
- Assist and coordinate rescue of stranded animals including assisting with the rescue hotline.
- Participate in educational talks and tours.
- Supervise, Maintain, and update seal records. Applying for rehab licenses as needed.
- Provide assistance to the Director and rehabilitation staff as needed.
- Assisting with fundraisers, educational events, clerical duties and office work as needed
- Representing Seal Rescue Ireland at networking events
This is an unpaid position. For some applicants housing is available at 85 Euro/Week (includes food) if desired and there may be possibilities of getting free housing after a few months into the position. Managers are responsible for all travel expenses.
Send resume and cover letter and application to:
Subject: Assistant Manager Position - email@example.com