Marine Wildlife and Environmental Education Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland is a very busy marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation facility located in Courtown Ireland. It is the only seal rehabilitation facility in Ireland and responds to strandings along the entire coast of Ireland. Most strandings are Grey and Common Seal pups who have been wounded, orphaned or injured. This is a full time position for a minimum of twelve weeks. Priority will be given to candidates who can stay a longer period of time.
Reports to: Education Coordinator
Job Summary: This position will provides the intern with work experience in all aspects of a rescue and rehabilitation centre with primary focus in the educational program. The intern will be expected to participate in the educational program and help with its development, plan/attend outreach events, assist with fundraiser events, and develop educational materials. The candidate is also responsible for assisting with marine mammal stranding calls and organizing rescues/transports. There may be some involvement in assisting in the husbandry care and maintenance of rehabilitation animals if interested.
Requirements: Applicants must have a background or interest in areas of study such as Pre-Vet, Biology, Zoology, Environmental Science, Child Development, Education, or any other related field. Background knowledge of marine animals is preferred but not required. Applicants must be organized, personable, and have ability to plan events. Employees will be expected to maintain a high level of professionalism and appropriateness whenever they are representing Seal Rescue Ireland. Having people skills, ability to speak clearly on the phone, being comfortable around children and ability to speak to a crowd is a must. Looking for a highly motivated individual who will help take education program to the next level. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Plan and attend community outreach tables
- Plan and assist with fundraisers
- Assist with planning of school trips
- Lead groups of children and adults in educational crafts and activities
- Create educational plans and materials appropriate for all ages
- Assist in the care and maintenance of the Center’s rehabilitation animals.
- Educate via rescue hotline & keeping adequate records & coordinating rescue transport
- Provide assistance to the Manager and rehabilitation staff as needed.
- Performs other duties relating to the Center’s goals and mission statement as required.
This is an unpaid position. Intern housing is available at 95 Euro/Week (includes food) if desired. Interns are responsible for all travel expenses.
Send a resume and cover letter and application to:
Attention: Education Internship - firstname.lastname@example.org