Earth Week 2019 at Seal Rescue Ireland!
When: 15th-19th April
Where: Seal Rescue Ireland
What: Each day will offer a 1 hour workshop based on sustainable living and environmental care between 1 - 2pm.
‘Protect Our Species’
This year, Earth Day is focusing on Protecting our Earth’s Species. And what a better way to explore this than discover how to save Ireland’s native seals? Our flippered marine mammals are at threat from various human impacts, and we are working hard to protect them!
This year, we are celebrating Earth Week - not just Earth Day! From Monday 15th April to Friday 19th April, we are hosting workshops and events to inspire people to make small changes to help Protect Our Species!
Earth Week Workshop collection:
Monday 15th - Living Plastic Free
Tuesday 16th - Recycling and Eco Bricks
Wednesday 17th - Planting a Butterfly Garden
Thursday 18th - Hotels for Bugs
Friday 19th - Big Beach Clean
Living Plastic Free
- Going plastic free in everyday lives can be difficult, how do you know where to start?
- This workshop explores why plastics are damaging to the environment, and why we should be stopping our plastic consumption. Followed by a discussion into tips on how to start going plastic free, share your experience with what works, and what isn’t so great as a plastic alternative. With examples from local plastic free companies, this is your chance to kickstart your new plastic free lifestyle!
Recycling and Eco Bricks
- Some plastics are unavoidable, but what is the best way to deal with them?
- This workshop explores recycling, upcycling, and eco bricks. Discover what can be recycled in Ireland, and how to do it correctly - it’s not as easy as you might think! Look into upcycling everyday waste items with Lynn from The Upcycle Movement, and, if all else fails, discover how to eco brick your soft plastics to create funky new furniture!
Planting a Butterfly Garden
- What is all the fuss about pollinators? Why do we need them?
- Explore why pollinators and bugs are vital to the world’s health, and our agriculture sector. Discover why we are seeing less butterflies and bees in our countryside, and learn just what plants are best for attracting insects to your area. Help us plant a butterfly garden at the centre, and, come summer, see the garden teeming with beautiful native butterflies!
Hotels for Bugs
- All bugs are vital to ecosystems, not just butterflies and bees!
- Learn how to build houses and ‘hotels’ for various bugs and insects to encourage them back to our woodlands. Don’t worry, you don’t have to house bugs and creepy crawlies in your back-garden! Why not build bug habitats in woodlands and hedgerows? Ranging from small and simple, to large and elaborate, no matter what your skills, these hotels are brilliantly easy to create!
Big Beach Clean
- Ocean plastics negatively impact thousands of ocean creatures every day. Let’s do our part to help clean up the litter that sweeps up onto our beaches.
- This event looks at the impact of marine litter on ocean creatures, before heading down to our local beaches to make them spotless and free from litter! Now, if you can’t make our beach clean, you can always head down to your local beach and do a 2 minute beach clean! Take a bag, and pick up as much as you can - taking any amount of litter from the beach will have a huge impact!