Rehabilitation and Education Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland is a very busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation facility located in Courtown Ireland. It is the only seal rehabilitation facility in Ireland and responds to strandings along the entire coast of Ireland. Most strandings are Grey and Common Seal pups who have been wounded, orphaned or injured. This is a full time position for a minimum of 12 weeks. Priority will be given to candidates who can stay a longer period of time.
Reports to: Assistant Managers
Job Summary: This position provides the intern with work experience in the rescue and rehabilitation effort of stranded marine mammals and ocean conservation work. The candidate is responsible for assisting in the daily husbandry care and maintenance of rehabilitation animals. Half of the internship will be focused on animal care and the other half will be participation in the rescue groups educational program and fundraising program. Each intern will be responsible for planning one fundraiser or similar project.
Requirements: Applicants must have a background or interest in areas of study such as Pre-Vet, Biology, Zoology, or any other animal related field. Applicants must have the ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction, and have effective communication skills. Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around the exhibits and holding areas, and must be able to lift 25 kilograms. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available to work nights, weekends and holidays. Public speaking skills are highly encouraged. Previous animal care and handling skills are preferred.
· Daily animal diet preparations, routine cleaning of enclosures and work areas.
· Assist with rescue and release of stranded animals.
· Assist with the rescue hotline.
· Assist in the care and maintenance of the Center’s rehabilitation animals.(feeding, restraining, medical treatment, daily care)
· Participate in educational talks and tours.
· Maintain and update medical records.
· Help to ensure that the rehabilitation clinic and quarantine area is stocked and prepared to receive animals.
· Provide assistance to the Manager and rehabilitation staff as needed.
· Assisting with fundraisers and educational events
· Assisting with clerical duties and office work as needed (it is a small rehabilitation centre so you will gain experience in all aspects of how a rehabilitation centre runs and operates)
· Performs other duties relating to the Center’s goals and mission statement as required.
This is an unpaid position. For some applicants Intern housing is available at 95 Euro/Week (includes food) if desired. Interns are responsible for all travel expenses.
Send a resume and cover letter and application to:
Attention: Rehabilitation & Education Internship firstname.lastname@example.org
Click HERE to download an application.