Assistant Animal Care Manager
Seal Rescue Ireland (SRI) is a charity organisation which operates a busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation centre located in Courtown, Co. Wexford. As the only facility that fully rehabilitates seals within the Republic of Ireland, SRI responds to strandings nationwide. Most reports are for young grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) and common seal (Phoca vitulina) pups found sick, injured or orphaned across the Irish coastline. In addition, SRI pursues understanding and public engagement of ocean conservation and sustainability through education, community outreach and research programmes.
SRI is currently accepting applications for an Assistant Animal Care Manager. This high paced, full-time position is for a minimum of 6 months, but longer time commitments are encouraged. This is an unpaid position. The successful candidate will be provided with housing, food, utilities and basic necessities for a minimal rent fee of 90 euro per week. After the initial training period, there is the opportunity for the rent fee to be waived if additional responsibilities are taken on. Seal Rescue Ireland is looking to fill this position in August. Applications are due on the 1st of July, 2020. Due to Covid-19, this position is only open to individuals currently residing in Ireland.
Reports to: Animal Care Manager
Job Summary: This position will be a responsible individual who will assist in supervising programs, interns/volunteers, daily husbandry of animals in care, and take on necessary office duties to keep the centre running when the Animal Care Manager is off duty. He or she will also work closely with the Animal Care Manager and Operations Manager in all aspects involved in running a wildlife hospital. This position is split between working with the animals and working on administrative tasks in the office. Additionally, assistance in collaborating and coordinating various educational and fundraising programs is required.
Requirements: Applicants must have a degree in an area of study such as Pre-Veterinary, Biology, Zoology, or a related field. Previous work in marine mammal rehabilitation is preferred, though other wildlife rehabilitation experience may be accepted. Applicants must be comfortable with public speaking, giving direction/teaching, and using GSuite and/or Microsoft Office programs. Being organized and self-motivated is essential. Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around the exhibits and holding areas, and must be able to lift 25 kilograms. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available to work long hours, nights, weekends and holidays. Preference is for applicants who are at least 25 years old with a clean driving record and a driver’s license that is valid in Ireland in order to be covered by insurance to drive SRI’s company vehicle.
- Supervise and train interns and volunteers
- Assist in coordination of releases and other conservation events
- Management of seal records database
- Responsible for managing specific programs within the organization
- Responsible for hospital inventory and stock checks
- Supervising and participating in daily animal diet preparations, routine cleaning of enclosures, giving medical treatments, tube feeding, and maintenance of the grounds
- Overseeing daily operation of hospital and visitor center, medical treatment plans and upgrading animals and diets with other managers
- Assist and coordinate rescue of stranded animals including assisting with the rescue hotline.
- Participate in educational talks and tours.
- Provide assistance to the Animal Care Manager, Operations Manager and other management as needed.
- Assisting with fundraisers, educational events, clerical duties and office work as needed
- Representing Seal Rescue Ireland at networking events
This is an unpaid position. Housing will be offered to the successful applicant for 90 Euro/week (including food). The successful applicant will be responsible for their own travel expenses.
Application Deadline: 1st of July, 2020
Once filled, please send your completed application form along with your curriculum vitae and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Assistant Animal Care Manager