We understand that every class is at a different stage on their quest to gain environmental knowledge, and no knowledge is retained better than knowledge gained while having fun, right?
We have educational programmes to suit every classes needs. Whether you’d like to visit our rescue centre for our immersive, Marine Conservation Discovery Tour; or host our engaging education team who will visit your school with our highly-acclaimed, Marine Conservation Roadshow, we have something for everyone!
Watch our Science Foundation Ireland Education Video!
“One of the highlights of our year in school was the Seal Sanctuary Roadshow from Seal Rescue Ireland. Each year we take part in the Science Foundation Ireland Discover Science and Maths Award and it was a fantastic opportunity for the Discovery Centre to come to us! Jeshua and Ffion were amazing. They tailored the content perfectly to each class level from Junior Infants to 6th Class. The resources they brought were fascinating and each child was captivated, particularly with the eyeball! Their knowledge and dedication in caring for and saving the environment was inspirational. As a part of the visit we adopted two seals, Egg and Sundae. The visit and the seal adoption inspired our school to become 100% free of single-use plastic. Our senior class even created a website to show others how easy it is to do! We would highly recommend a visit from the Seal Rescue Ireland.”
– Pupils and Principal, Ita Connoly, Davidstown PS
1 hour, Marine Conservation Discovery Tour includes:
1) An engaging 30 minute, lesson examining seals and their importance in the Irish marine ecosystem. As well as, the threats they face and ways you can help protect them and their environment. You will have access to our sustainability toolkit which will aid your schools efforts to go green!
2) A 30 minute, interactive tour of our rescue facility, supplemented with games and activities to consolidate the messages you’ll learn about marine conservation.
3) You’ll get the unique opportunity to throw fish to our older pups, so you can watch them compete for food.
4) Exclusive, curriculum based teaching materials, to help your class get the most from your visit.
30 minute, Marine Conservation Half Tour includes:
A 15 minute indoor lesson and a 15 minute outdoor tour of our rehab facility.
This information packed, immersive experience will have your class feeling ready to take on any science project or green challenge you’re working on.
Marine Conservation Roadshow: Outreach
It can be expensive and logistically difficult to get classes to our rescue facility in Courtown, Co. Wexford. We can’t bring the seals to your school! However, we’ll bring everything else including medical tools, seal artefacts, fish soup and lots of fun ways for you to get involved as junior conservationists.
Our Roadshow includes:
1) Introductory teaching materials one week before our visit
2) A 40-55 minute presentation cover seal ecology, threats to Irish seals in the marine environment, ways you can help protect seals and marine life, and an examination of our rescue and rehab procedure.
3) A touch table, where you’ll be able to feel a soft seal skin, see the teeth on a seal skull, get a chance to tube feed our big seal soft toy and learn all about ecobricks, tree planting and what to do we you see local wildlife.
4) Each school will get one FREE seal Eco Adoption of their choice, so that you can follow the progress of one of our pups in care: See “Adoptions” for all the awesome details on adopting seals.
5) Access to our fantastic, curriculum-linked workbooks for your class to work through. Each workbook has a recap of the lessons learned, our Sustainability Toolkit, and awesome challenges for home and school.
The eco-adoption of a seal pup will extend engagement of pupils in your school for up to 3 months, the perfect length of time for children to consolidate our message of Marine Conservation and Wildlife rehabilitation.