Advanced SRI Experience (4 – 12 weeks)
Our “Advanced SRI Experience” is a full time programme for a minimum of 1 month. ASRIE is aimed at those looking to gain experience working in a marine conservation and wildlife rehabilitation facility but, are unable to commit to a 12 week internship. As a longer term volunteer, you will have the opportunity to get more in depth learning and take on valuable responsibility. Please confirm your desired start date with us at least two weeks in advance so that our staff can make arrangements.
- Routine cleaning of enclosures and work areas
- Daily animal diet preparations
- Assist in the care and maintenance of seals in rehabilitation (i.e. feeding, medical treatment, daily care)
- Assist animal rescue, rehabilitation and releases
- Assist with clinic and quarantine area stock and preparation for receiving animals
- Maintain and update medical records, using our state of the art database
- Assist with SRI’s many ongoing conservation initiatives as well as, basic maintenance of the facility.
- Potentially assist with releases and other special events
- Take part in our immersive education programme, with the opportunity to gain valuable public speaking experience as a tour guide.
- Assist with ongoing community engagement and fundraisers (optional)
- Provide assistance to education and rehabilitation staff as needed
- Assist with fundraisers and community events
- Learn and practice hospital hygiene protocols
*Please inform us of any additional skills you think may aid the organisation. We have a diverse set of tasks from maintenance and construction to marketing and fundraising- which means there are endless opportunities to put different skill sets to use!
Duration: 4 – 12 weeks (5 days a week)
Age Requirement: 18+ no additional requirements
Important information before booking:
- Please confirm your desired start date at least 4 weeks in advance.
- There are no physical requirements for this position since the program will be adjusted for all capabilities. Unfortunately, our hospital facility is not wheelchair accessible.
- Once your dates are confirmed please finalise payment online at least 4 weeks prior to reserve your booking. Once we receive payment, you will receive a correspondence email regarding what you’ll need for your special day!”
- Booking fee is non-refundable if cancelled within two weeks of program date, and cancellation fees apply if cancelled prior to the two weeks.
- There is no onsite housing available but we can send a list of recommended local accommodation options.