Are you looking for a rewarding volunteer opportunity? Join our Seal Rescue Network, and help us to rescue seals in peril.
This no-experience-needed training programme is free of charge. We will have you rescuing and transporting sick, injured and orphaned seals in no time!
Every year, Seal Rescue Ireland has a growing number of reports of distressed or stranded seals from around the entire coast of the Republic of Ireland. Whether that’s due to growing environmental threats or increased public awareness of our services, we now need more trained volunteers nationwide than ever before.
We host regular Rescue Training Workshops on zoom as well as a few in-person sessions at different locations in Ireland. Currently, we have a growing network of over 700 trained rescue volunteers nationwide. After attending just one, 3-hour workshop, you’ll be qualified to operate under Seal Rescue Ireland’s Wildlife Handling License.
Book your spot for upcoming training in three easy steps!
- Fill out our Rescue Network Registration form on this page.
- You will see the links for our Volunteer Waivers when you finish your registration. Please download these & sign them
- Our Rescue Network Coordinator will be in touch to give you more details on your upcoming training!
If you have any questions or queries please get in touch with email@example.com
For information on Rescue Network Opportunities outside of Ireland, visit globalstrandingnetwork.com
Who can volunteer with our Rescue Network?
- Residents of the Republic of Ireland
- Anyone with a valid driver’s license and access to a car
- You must be 18+ in age
What will I learn at the workshop?
- You will learn about the seal’s ecology, life strategies, behaviour and the main threats to Ireland’s seal population.
- You will learn how to determine if a seal is in need of human intervention based on its physical condition and behaviour.
- You will learn how to safely lift, transport and transfer sick, injured and orphaned seal pups to minimise stress and maximise the chance of survival.
- You will learn how to effectively engage with members of the public to reduce disturbance and proactively prevent rescue situations.
Book Your Rescue Training!
What will I need to Rescue a Seal?
- A sturdy storage box or dog crate to transport the seal in
- A large towel to use when moving the seal
- Gloves and Waterproof Pants